Okay, guys, I'll get the ball rolling. I pull out of Roch. in 30 minutes and I expect to see many great discussions when I get home! :)
The question was: What does today's evangelical culture consider a strong church? (Follow up to ... what was the nature of the qualities Paul used to evaluate the maturity and strength of a church?)
My thoughts ... sadly, I think most evangelical churches today put much weight on numbers. Number of attenders who "give" and number of programs.
Paul was passionate about preserving the fruit, establishing believers in the gospel and assuring understanding of the message and its implications.
Paul also looked for transformed lives. I think we fall short in this area.
I also think many (dare I say most) evang. churches jump from program to program, always seeking the new and improved package that will draw people ... givers. I don't mean to make it sound like it's all about money. We are all commanded to tithe and use our talents and time for the Church. However, I think most churches (oops, I said 'most') want the people and the pocket change more than they want to disciple, train leaders, and multiply churches.
Ah, not a cynic ... just an observation. I'd say more ( you know I would!), but I have to fly.
Next?
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looks like we are on very similar pages Vicki.
I find it interesting that you focused on giving and how that can impact a church's willingness to follow a 'Pauline vision'. I think that is a big one. How many churches have the strength in vision and leadership to follow through with this type of vision if the bottom line is impacted?
Very Cool Family Pix, by the way. I am finally signed up. Had some cancels at work and post!!!
I agree about the numbers and programs. I get concerned about the "attracting people" mentalisy rather that the growth and maturity of believers. We want new converts, but once saved then what. Seems many church drop the ball (This probably a generalization, but I believe a majority do in our times). believers and bring in the ne
Post a Comment