Hello Everyone -- instead of writing comments two times.....once for Vicki's post and once for Wayne's note, I figured I would just respond to both with a new post. Vicki -- by now you should also be ready to start receiving e-mail notification of this new post (please let me know if it works).
In response to what Vicki and Wayne said, I completely agree (how about that!) It seems like more people is one of the very few gauges I hear being used to measure the strength of a church or the success of the pastor's ministry. To be sure, numbers could mean a fruitful ministry, but that is not always the case.
What other gauges could we use? A short brainstorming session gave me these ideas: 1) The percentage of missionaries to total church population--for example, 0% vs. a church with 5% or 10% would be very telling. I believe it was the Moravians who sent out 90% of their membership into missions (see www.moravian.org/history).
2) The percentage of dollars going towards missions and/or local outreach
3) The percentage of the number of people being saved and becoming committed members
I am sure there are lots of great indicators that I am not thinking of right now....does anyone have any other ideas they could add?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
To follow up on my comments from last week's blog, I believe Paul was driven by his concern over the early churches ability to carry on in the establishment process of existing churches and the planting of new churches.
The planting processes success was dependent on the birthing churches ability to ensure that the Word and message was founded in the truth and that a strong follow up, and mentoring process was in place.
Today we need to revisit Paul's process and be like-minded.
Todd's sermon yeaterday was right on the mark. Success or failure in CEFC's and Berian's ability to plant churches, and carry on, as it were - depends on the identification and development of leaders in the church.
I believe that this possess a significant and somewhat shadowed threat that must be dealt with, and that is prayer and discernment. There may be a low initial interest and an acceptance of church members who do not possess the gifts needed in church planting leadership.
Selecting the wrong folks to serve in this endeavor can be a poision pill.
It comes down to through assessment of the skills/gifts at CEFC, and Berian, and prayerful discernment.
Can I get an Amen?
Post a Comment