Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Great Quote

Hello everyone -- I thought this was a quote worth passing along....I just read this on a blog called "NeverThirsty":

In a magazine article many years ago Mike Yaconelli wrote about the type of pastor churches want. His comments are true in many churches:

"We don't want ministers anymore; we want CEOs. We don't want prophets, we want politicians. We don't want godliness, we want experience. We don't want spirituality, we want efficiency. We don't want humility, we want charisma. We don't want godly authority, we want relational skills. As a result, we have thousands and thousands of churches in this country whose ministers are very qualified to do what the church has asked of them, but the one thing that hasn't been asked of them is to love Jesus."

1 comment:

Mike V said...

Thanks for the quote Chris. I could not agree more.

I would add that today the pulpit ofen lacks a "real" man of God, complete with vulnerablility and willingness to share his challenges. How can the Body relate to a seemingly flawless pastor? They cannot and instead they look for apparent weaknesses.

Fortunately we hav a transparent pastor who does reflect his humanness. Its refreshing and extremely encouraging.